Friday, February 13, 2009

Friday Long Run

It rained all day today, and after waiting for a long time I finally decided to do my long run indoors. Whenever I have to run on the treadmill, it feels like torture. Today's workout called for a 20 minute warm-up and then 60 minutes steady at my maximum aerobic pace, followed by a 10 minute cool down. Steady for me works out to about 20 beats below my lactic threshold heart rate (LT), or about 154 BPM. These workouts are hard enough, but doing them on the treadmill drives me crazy.

Most people when they walk into the gym to go for a run see this:


But I see this:

At any rate, I plugged in the iPod and surrendered to the machine. Despite the heat and absolutely still air in the gym, the workout went well to say the least. 20 minute warm-up and then 60 minutes steady at 9.3 mph... most likely a new record for me. I know comparing treadmill pace to real pace is like comparing the Canadian dollar to the US dollar, but still.... 9.3! I'm sure I'll be paying for that late in the week next week.

Long ride tomorrow, and hopefully again on Sunday. After that it's one more week before I rest and test and then Base 2 will be in the books. Hard to believe it's been 6 weeks already.

Next week will be a run "stretch" week due to some work commitments. Yes, I said "stretch".

No comments:

Post a Comment